SEM Young Investor Award Competition: Real investor experience, Real competition and Real investor learning
Initiated in 1993, the SEM Young Investor Award Competition (SEMYIA) is a national share market game, involving real market prices in real sharemarket conditions, aimed at high school level. This Investor Education Event is now a firmly established annual event. SEMYIA is hands-on, interactive and fun experience.
- Free to play
- Take a hypothetical Rs200,000, create your own virtual share portfolio and experience what it is like to invest in the sharemarket without spending a cent of your own money!
- Buy and sell shares to increase the value of your portfolio in a set time frame of 3 months
- Simulates real share market conditions
SEM Young Investor Award 2017 Participant Information Pack
- Initial Portfolio Example : Click here to download
- Invesment Swap Form: Click here to download
- Investment of Dividends Form : Click here to download
- Swap example: Click here to download
- Corporate Action Price adjustment example: Click here to download
- List of companies to invest in: Click here to download
- List of stockbrokers : Click here to view
- Report Writing : Click here to download
- Daily delayed trading data on Official Market : Click here to view
- Latest Corporate Announcements on Official Market : Click here to view
- Latest Published Accounts on Official Market: Click here to view
- Click here to download SEM Factbook 2016
Background Information on SEM Young Investor Award 2017
Initiated in 1993, the SEM Young Investor Award Competition now stands at its 25th edition. Throughout the years, this annual event has generated a growing interest from lower 6 students from secondary institutions across the country, both in towns and villages, and the number of participants and schools registered has considerably increased over the last 24 years. This year’s competition has attracted a record number of 178 teams of five students each, that is 890 students, from a record number of 101 colleges across the country.
The aims of the competition are:
- to inculcate an investment culture among college students by giving them a hands on exposure to a key component of the financial services sector, namely the securities industry;
- to give participants an opportunity to understand the operational aspects of the Stock Exchange and experience how to invest in the real-life environment;
- to trigger the interests of college students in the financial sector activities, with the expectations that they pursue higher studies and professional careers in this growing sector of the Mauritian economy.
Calendar for the SEM Young Investor Award 2017
A technical briefing session will be held by the Stock Exchange of Mauritius at Octavié, Reduit on 15th March 2017, for all participating students to explain them the rules of the competition, the mechanics of share trading and pricing as well as analytical and discussive skills they need to demonstrate in the write-up of their report.
Submission of Initial Portfolio: Thursday 30 March
Competition starts on: Monday 03 April
Competition ends on: Friday 30 June
Submission of Report (in 2 parts: Investment Plan & Investment Report): Monday 10 July
Overview of SEM Young Investor Award 2017
The national competition will start on 3rd April 2017 and ends on 30th June 2017, spreading over a period of 3 months. Each team is required to invest an investment fund of Rs200,000 of token money in a portfolio consisting of the shares of 5 companies listed on the Official List of the Stock Exchange of Mauritius. Each team is allowed to make up to ten investment swaps at any time during the period of the competition. Portfolios are updated on a daily basis, and on 30th June each portfolio is valued as it stands as at that date using the quoted prices of the final trading session of 30th June 2016, and taking into consideration all dividends receivable, dividends re-invested, bonus issues and proceeds from the sale of rights, if any.
Besides, each team is required to present a Report in two parts (Investment Plan and Investment Report) at the end of the competition. The Report will carry 30% of the marks, the remaining 70% being alloted to the profits realised on the portfolio.
Rules of SEM Young Investor Award 2017
1. The competition is open to all secondary schools offering HSC courses and is limited to 2 teams per school.
2. Each school team shall consist of 5 members, who must all be Lower VI students.
3. Each team is required to invest by 30 March 2016 an investment fund of Rs200,000 of token money over a 3-month period and submit their initial portfolios to the Stock Exchange at latest on that date. The initial portfolio is calculated using the closing price of 03 April 2016.
4. In the event that a participant is transferred from one secondary institution to another, the latter will have to be replaced by another participant of the same institution.
5. The participating team is allowed a maximum of 10 swaps.
6. A minimum of 5% of the total share portfolio should be invested any one single stock at any point during the course of the competition.
7. No more than 40% of the total share portfolio should be invested in any one company at any point in time during the course of the competition.
8. All correspondance sent to the Stock Exchange, other than invesment swaps/dividends and the Report should bear the signature of the Rector.
9. The price used to evaluate portfolios at the end of the competition will be the closing price of the last trading session of the competition.(i.e. price at 30 June 2016)
10. In event of any rights issues, on the Ex-Rights (ER) date, the Rights will be deemed to have been sold at [Ex-Rights (ER) Reference price - Issue Price].
11. In the event where a company is merged or taken over by another company, the value of the shareholding will automatically be used to purchase shares in the new company to the equivalent value.
12. Each team will first select among the existing listed companies 5 shares which in their view represent the best investment opportunities over the next three months, and then allocate an amount of the investment fund of Rs 200,000 to each of these 5 companies so as to achieve the best total return.i.e dividends ans capital gains, at the end of the three-month period.
13. At the end of the competition, each team will be required to present a Report, in two parts (Investment Plan and Investment Report). The Report will carry 30% of the marks, the remaining 70% will be alloted to the profits realised on the portfolio.
14. The Stock Exchange shall have the right to make a pre-selection of the participating teams at the final marking stage and take any other decisions for the good conduct of the competition. All participating teams shall abide by its decisions which shall be final.
Prizes offered by the Stock Exchange of Mauritius and Sponsors
1st prize : A challenge trophy offered by SEM, and a package prize offered by the MCB comprising a cash prize of Rs 200 000, MCB shares to the value of Rs 2500, an individual MCB shield, a one-week traineeship at MCB and MCB corporate gifts.
2nd prize: A trophy offered by SEM, and a package Prize offered by the NMF comprising a cash prize of Rs 100, 000, NMF units to the value of Rs 5000, a one-day visit at the NMF Savings and Investment Department and NMF corporate gifts.
3rd prize: A trophy offered by SEM, a Cash Prize of Rs 50, 000 by Aon Hewitt Ltd and corporate gifts.
Prize for Best Report: A trophy by SEM and a challenge trophy offered by CFA Society Mauritius.
Overview of the SEM Young Investor Award 2016 Edition: Click here
March 15, 2017