College participants invest a hypothetical sum of Rs 200,000 in SEM’s listed securities by creating an investment portfolio and experience investment on the Exchange without spending a cent of their own money! Students manage their portfolio to achieve optimal total return over 3 months and receive updated portfolio-reports following buy/sell swap orders and dividends/bonus/rights received on Ex-date, if any.
- Inculcate an investment culture for the young generation by providing a practical, interactive, and free-to-play simulation platform for participants by being in the shoes of real investors;
- Ensure a holistic approach and provide support to learning via interactions with SEM staff and stockbrokers, and guiding participants to SEM's digital investor services (mySEM & SEM website) to follow daily market data and corporate actions/published accounts of listed companies;
- Submit a Report, aimed at testing higher-level analytical skills of financial and investment analysis, quantitative and qualitative critical application and evaluation of project findings presented in a logical structured and illustrative manner via a systematic approach of information gathering based on original work, as well as testing ability of making a judgement and drawing conclusions.
Portfolios are updated daily and on the last day of competition (28th June 2019), each portfolio is valued as it stands as of that date using closing prices of that trading day, and taking into account all dividends, bonus issues and proceeds from sale of rights allocated on Ex-Date, if any. Each team is required to present a Report in 2 parts (Investment Plan and Investment Report) at end of competition. The Report carries 30% of the marks, the remaining 70% being allocated to profits.